Alpaca Shearing services
We provide a full shearing service and also offer cria tipping.
How we shear
We use the Alternative System for shearing. This involves a team of up to three – the shearer and one to two handlers. One handler handles the animal with the shearer while it’s being sheared while the second removes the fibre, checking teeth and feet and so on.
Our gentle and considerate shearing and handling methods ensure minimal stress for the alpacas as they’re shorn.
- Speeds up shearing
- Minimises stress to the alpaca
- Maximises removal/retention of fibre
- Enables teeth, foot and general health check to be done at the same time
You can see us at work in our photo gallery and watch our progress around the West Country.
You have a number of options – all at no extra cost. Let us know your preferences.
- The leg fibre can be shorn tight to the leg or tapered.
- The head fibre can be shorn tighter above the eyes or left longer.
We are very aware of customer concerns about biosecurity and this is of paramount importance to us.
We employ robust biosecurity measures and ensure that all equipment is sprayed with a vet-approved TB disinfectant on leaving every property.
Our shearers are also taking extra precautions during the Covid-19 outbreak and following the Guidance notes for safe shearing issued by The British Alpaca Society. Please contact us if you have any queries or concerns about shearing if you are shielding/self-isolating.
Where we shear
In the UK we cover:
- the West Country – Cornwall, Devon, Dorset and Somerset
- the South – Hampshire, Gloucestershire, Wiltshire
- the South East as far as Surrey/M25 and West and East Sussex
- as far north as the West Midlands
- South Wales.
We sometimes have availability outside these areas, so contact us with your enquiries.
When we shear
We shear the full season, from mid-April through to mid-August. Cria tipping is available late summer.
How to book
Contact us for bookings, availability and all queries.